I wasn’t sure how to write this post… Or if I would. For obvious reasons, 2013 kinda sucked for me. Everything changed. But putting that aside, I made myself focus on the good things – because that’s all that really should matter, right? So here’s my list of the great things from 2013:
– I’m probably the healthiest I’ve ever been! I work out more regularly. I lost a good chunk of the weight I’ve been wanting to (with only a bit more to go). But even better than that, for the first time, I’m actually starting to love myself and my body for what it is at *this* moment.
– The MBSR class was very helpful (as was the hypnotherapy), and I feel I’m a calmer person, and can handle stress better than past me.
– M and I have gotten even closer; he’s been truly amazing. Every day now we put on some tunes (jazz, gypsy jazz, bluegrass, whatever), and then cook dinner together. He helps me search for new recipes and create meal plans, and we just do everything together. I think this is the best part of the year – more time with my bff.
– I eat fish now! I’ve always wanted to, but never “wanted” to, you know? There wasn’t any motivation. Why would I choose fish over pork belly in a restaurant? Well, now it’s my only meat choice, plus it’s super beneficial with all the omega-3’s, so I just ate it. And you know what? It’s actually quite tasty! New perspective.
– I have to be more creative in recipes and food choices. I’ve expanded more into other foods. OMG THAI CURRY. How had I never known that before?? It is the BEST.
– I don’t feel guilty about killing all those poor animals for food anymore. I can look at them with a cleaner conscience. Know I’m now, finally, doing my part.
– I got back into volunteering!
– I’m stronger than I think.
– I’m more adaptable than I think.
With all this – I think 2014 is going to be pretty sweet. I’ve got a lot to work on (apparently mindfulness doesn’t happen overnight, seems it’s an ongoing thing 😉 ) and to do (move, get one of those job things), but I’m not really terrified of those things like I would have been. I’m actually kinda excited! The move means a fresh start, the job means I’ll learn new things, the meditation means I’ll maintain calm (or at least try).
So bring it, 2014. I’m ready.
8 thoughts on “2014 is the new cool”
It’s been a long difficult journey for you and it sounds like you’re in a much better place now – I am so very proud of you! We are still eating in solidarity with you and we too feel better and have decided to make this a life-long change. Please always remember that you are never alone when you have family and friends by your side!
You have helped make things a bit easier, too – sharing recipes and your support, it means more than you know. I’m glad it’s also benefiting y’all, also! I’m very glad to have you, and thanks much for raising such a wonderful son and sharing him with me. 🙂
Veronica, this was such a joy to read. I am so happy for you and your progress, and proud of how well you are doing with all these changes–and how you have embraced them. And so glad to know you. Have a wonderful new year!
Thanks, Maria – I’ve got to say, you’ve helped me in maintaining a positive attitude! I’m very glad to know you, too. I wish you a wonderful year, as well!
Your inner strength is amazing. I have no doubt in my mind that you will prevail.
May the good Karma of the Universe continue to channel to you.
I know I wouldn’t be where I’m at without support and love from family and friends like you. Back at ya with the good karma. 🙂