Wow – how long has it been?! Too long! So, it seems life gets in the way of posting blogs every now and then. I won’t go into too much detail, but I just haven’t had the time/energy/motivation to come up with new recipes and posts. I’ve been relying on my “go-to” meals – the ones I always keep and add in the rotation because they’re easy and/or delicious. It’s hard not to just say “screw it” and go out for Thai food, but that’s not good for the wallet or the waistline (or your general health). I’ve been making myself stick to cooking at home, and going back to these meals because they’re pretty easy, and I know I love eating them. I know we all get these bouts – so I’m putting together a little list of these go-to meals that maybe you can try out the next time you want to go out but should stay in.
Some ideas for when you’re time crunched and want something easy:
- Tofu and Kale Bowls — OMG I can’t believe I haven’t blogged about this one. We have this just about every week. I will asap – just need to take a picture to share with you. That will happen next week when we make it.
- Poblano, Potato, and Mushroom Tacos – make a double batch to reheat later in the week.
- Chickpea/Falafel Sliders – these make great leftovers.
- Rice Noodle Veggie Salad – on hot evenings when you don’t want to turn on the stove.
- Spicy Moroccan Lentils – filling and hearty, quick to put together and cook.
- Tortilla Soup – a classic favorite!
- Creamy Potato Soup – for a rich and comforting meal.
- Black Bean Soup – add a little spice to your week!
Some good snacks are: hummus (various flavors) with fresh sliced veggies and olives (I love the jalapeno stuffed olives!); chips and fresh salsa and black bean dip; fresh seasonal fruit from the farmer’s market; smoked almonds and pistachios; dried mango slices… Sometimes a plate with a couple of these make a quick and easy lunch. Or make a batch of roasted and steamed veggies with rice and tahini dressing to throw together during the week. It packs up well to take to work or school or wherever.
I’ve got one new-ish recipe (well, I’ve made it a few times, just haven’t photographed it or written it up yet), so I’ll have a new post soon! Plus the tofu and kale bowl that I mentioned above.
What are some of your favorite dishes to make when you’re stressed or don’t have much time?